The Minister for Federal, European and International Affairs of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia and BICC invite you to a hybrid discussion event (in German language) on 27 October 2020. Together with DIE and CASSIS, they want to review the role of the United Nations with regard to peace, security and development.
What future role should the world organisation play in global peacekeeping, while the world order is becoming increasingly multipolar? What are the prospects of success for urgently needed UN reforms? Ideas on this subject are diverging widely, also given the enormous challenges such as the Coronavirus pandemic, climate change, technological upheavals, new violent conflicts and fundamental shifts in power in the international system.
On 27 October, 6.30 to 8 p.m, the following experts from the UN city of Bonn will be discussing the topic of “Freedom, Peace, Security and Development: The United Nations between aspiration and reality”:
- Professor Dr Anna-Katharina Hornidge, Director, German Development Institute (DIE)
- Professor Dr Conrad Schetter, Director for Research, BICC (Bonn International Center for Conversion)
- Professor Dr Ulrich Schlie, Center for Advanced Security, Strategic and Integration Studies (CASSIS)
- Professor Jakob Rhyner (Moderator), Scientific Director, Bonn Alliance for Sustainability Research/ Innovation Campus Bonn (ICB), formerly United Nations University
- Dr Stephan Holthoff-Pförtner, Minister for Federal, European and International Affairs of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia
Source: Bonn International Center for Conversion, 07.10.2020