Building on a special issue of the South African Journal of International Affairs entitled “A decade of G20 summitry: Assessing the benefits, limitations and future of global club governance in turbulent times”, the webinar will consider the G20’s response to the current Covid-19 pandemic as a global health, economic and geopolitical crisis.
How does the current crisis response (or the lack thereof) by the G20 compare with the role of the group during the global financial crisis more than ten years ago? How has the G20 as a club governance format evolved during the past 10 years? What should the G20 do in the current situation and how can it achieve those policy goals with a view to the upcoming leaders’ summit in Riyadh in November 2020? These and other questions will be up for discussion, with a view to engaging policymakers in the G20.
The webinar will be conducted in an interactive manner and allow for questions by participants. The webinar will have the following agenda and speakers:
- Imme Scholz, Deputy Director, DIE
- Andrew Cooper, Professor of Political Science at the University of Waterloo
- Julia Pomares, Executive Director, Center for the Implementation of Public Policies Promoting Equity and Growth (CIPPEC)
- Elizabeth Sidiropoulos, Chief Executive of SAIIA
- Paola Subacchi, Professor, Global Policy Institute, Queen Mary University of London
To register in the event and receive the password for the Zoom meeting please register with Christa Ottersbach (email to email@example.com).
Source: Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE), 16 June 2020