Founded in 1972, IFOAM – Organics International works as an agent of change, advocating for true sustainability in agriculture, value chains, and consumption. We are an international non- profit organization with a membership base that spans around 100 countries, and promote a holistic approach to food systems based on the principles of health, ecology, fairness, and care.
It’s an exciting time to join our team! We are growing and in transition, and are looking to strengthen our organization by supporting us in the implementation of projects across different countries with the aim to promote organic agriculture. To this end we are looking for an IT Officer to join our governance team of eight persons. You are a proactive team player, able to work collaboratively as part of a multicultural and interdisciplinary team.
You will be involved in a range of diverse activities from setting up and maintaining the IT infrastructure, a network of mostly macOS systems, Linux- and macOS servers and a few virtual Windows machines, maintaining the database, hosting our website up to supporting membership activities.
You will be part of a team of 30 and based in Bonn, Germany, reporting to the Head of Operations. We are aiming to fill this position as soon as possible.
Setup & maintenance of IT Infrastructure
- Acquisition and setup of hardware for the organization.
- Supervision and maintenance of the organization’s internal and externally hosted IT infrastructure.
- Safeguarding the organization’s data by regular backups and by securing the communication channels.
- Minimizing risks to security threats.
Maintenance and development of the organization’s databases
- Extension and improvement of the database structure and functionality. Currently we use SalesForce CRM and various MySQL databases.
- Supporting activities which require accurate data selection, data merging or import/export.
- Integration of the organization’s data with external platforms.
Maintenance and development of the organization’s main websites
- Main websites are: ifoam.bio, owc.ifoam.bio, directory.ifoam.bio
- Technical setup and maintenance of the website’s CMS (drupal & wordpress).
- Extension and improvement of the organization’s website through plugins or custom development.
Support of membership activities
- Supporting the Membership Coordinator in developing the online membership directory, the invoicing process and targeted (mass) mailings.
- Supporting the implementation of in person & virtual General Assemblies, e.g. in regard to electronic voting procedures as well as life streaming or remote participation.
Overall IT matters
- Internal Training and knowledge transfer in regard to IT.
- Consolidation and documentation of IT related processes.
- Basic user & system support.
- Technical liaison to external IT partners and providers.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject (e.g. Information Technology, IT System administration, Software development) with 5+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Confident with administering various operating systems (macOS, Linux, Windows, Synology).
- Experienced with database maintenance and querying (e.g. SalesForce, SQL).
- Comfortable with the command line.
- Experience with maintenance of Linux-based server software (Ubuntu server, Plesk), mail servers, mass mailing tools (e.g. Mailman), website CMS (Drupal or WordPress).
- Understanding of the DNS system.
- Good level of command in MS Office in order to provide user support.
- Fluency in English and German.
- Interest in organic agriculture.
- Organized with strong time-management skills.
- Ability to be clear and concise.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Responsible, reliable and service-oriented.
We offer a full-time (40 hours/week) position with the opportunity to work part time, initially for 2 years with the intention to extend to an unlimited contract, with a probation period of 6 months. IFOAM – Organics International offers an annual salary comparable to those offered by other international NGOs of a similar size in Bonn, Germany for similar positions.
How to Apply
Please submit your application by email in one single file (PDF) to email@example.com, no later than June 14th, 2020, indicating in the subject line the title of the position you apply for.
Your application must include a cover letter, your CV and salary expectations. Additional documents may be asked for at a later stage. Short-listed candidates will also be asked to provide the names and contact details of two professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Source: IFOAM – Organics International, 25 May 2020