ICLEI Europe and the City of Mannheim announce that registration is now open for the upcoming Mannheim2020 conference, the 9th edition of the European Conference on Sustainable Cities & Towns.
By now, we know that the world faces major environmental, economic and social challenges. Addressing these requires a profound transformation, which will impact all aspects of society.
Cities are on the frontline. The vast majority of Europe’s population lives in urban areas and 75% of global CO2 emissions come from cities. As centres of entrepreneurship and creativity, cities have the tools to make change happen.
Cities can’t do it alone. With the European Green Deal, a supporting framework is emerging at the EU level. Cities, towns and urban regions have a crucial role to play in putting this into action. But, they have to work with other stakeholders and levels of government to be most effective.
From 30 September to 2 October 2020, those who can make change happen will gather in Mannheim. Take transformation forward by joining Mayors, local government practitioners, civil society and all other urban stakeholders, businesses, national governments and European institutions at the Mannheim2020 conference.
The conference will include:
- Plenary discussions that address the European Green Deal, just transition, digitalisation, and future lifestyles;
- Sub-plenary sessions covering topics from circular economy, to carbon-neutral development, nature-based solutions in European cities, and the role of philanthropic capitalism;
- Breakout sessions that dive into innovations and transformations in a range of everyday urban policy areas;
- An innovation market to learn about latest projects and solutions across Europe;
- Guided study tours in Mannheim, highlighting the city’s own transformation;
- Social events, receptions and ceremonies.
Mannheim2020 offers opportunities for you to showcase your city, organisation or business, present your innovative ideas and advance your work.
For more information, visit the conference website: www.mannheim2020.eu
Source: ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability e.V., 06 February 2020