The UNSSC Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development is now accepting registrations for the upcoming online course The Paris Agreement on Climate Change as a Development Agenda which will run from 15 June to 27 July 2018.
This six-week joint UN Climate Change–UNSSC online course offers a holistic and integrated approach to climate change. It demonstrates the interlinkages and interdependencies between sustainable development and climate change to make informed policy choices towards low-carbon and climate resilient sustainable development.
The course will frame climate change impact and action around five core cornerstones of the 2030 Agenda: People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace, and Partnership.
- Week 1: Introduction: Sustainable Development, Climate Change and Climate Action;
- Week 2: Climate Change and People: The Social Dimension of Sustainable Development (People);
- Week 3: Climate Change and Environmental Protection (Planet);
- Week 4: Climate Change and Economic Development (Prosperity);
- Week 5: Climate Change and Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions (Peace);
- Week 6: Partnerships and Means of Implementation for Climate Action (Partnership).
At the end of the six weeks, participants will be able to:
- explain key elements of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the 2030 Agenda, and the role of climate action in the broader context of sustainable development;
- identify and articulate the interrelations and inter-dependencies between the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in five critical dimensions of the sustainable development: People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace and Partnership;
- identify and articulate best practices to ensure coherence and mutual reinforcement between the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- explain existing tools and instruments to mainstream sustainable development and climate action into national development policies and planning.
The online courses combines tutored components with synchronous and asynchronous activities, comprising knowledge acquisition, knowledge application to real-life and training scenarios, as well as group work and collaboration with peers. In addition to engaging in self-paced learning, participants in UNSSC online courses also benefit from live webinars with renowned experts from the UN the private sector and academia, allowing real-time virtual interaction between the instructors and participants.
Source: Notification UNSSC Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development, 28.04.2018