As part of a Climate Action Fair, the secretariat of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), its Momentum for Change initiative and the Marrakech Partnership for Global Climate Action are convening a series of lunch-time dialogues around Climate Action and the Sustainable Development Goals. The events coincide with the UN Climate Change Conference in Bonn (to 18 May).
These special dialogues will showcase climate solutions by leading non-Party stakeholders, including businesses, cities and international organizations. The series of dialogues started on 11 May 2017 and will run until 17 May 2017 at 1.15pm-2.00pm in the Climate Change Studio on the mezzanine floor above the lobby of the World Conference Center Bonn (map here). Keep monitoring this page for an updated programme!
For participants following on social media: Follow the video stream on UNFCCC Facebook – we’ll be taking your questions via Facebook Live!
4. Monday, 15 May, 1.15pm – 2.00pm
AMPLIFYING RAISED AMBITION FOR 2018 & 2020
The Paris Agreement has been ratified in record-breaking time. Nonetheless, we still need to raise the ambition of the national commitments in order to keep us within the two degrees threshold necessary for a safe and stable climate. This dialogue will explore how we can mobilize all voices to ensure that countries take stock of their NDC by 2018 with a view to enhancing them by 2020. Guest speakers:
- Paula Caballero, Global Climate Director (WRI)
- Andrew Higham, CEO (Mission 2020)
- Wael Hmaiden, Executive Director (CAN)
- Nicolette Bartlett, Director, Carbon Pricing (CDP)
5. Tuesday, 16 May, 1.15pm – 2.00pm
SDG TALK 1: ALIGNING CLIMATE ACTION & SDGs
Urgent climate action will safeguard the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, since many of the goals, such as ending poverty and achieving food and water security, can only be met under a stable climate. This dialogue will look at the interconnectivity between these two agendas and how they are mutually-beneficial. Guest speakers:
- Dr. Martin Frick, Director Climate and Environment Division (FAO)
- Cornie Huizenga, Secretary-General (SLoCaT)
6. Wednesday, 17 May, 1.15pm – 2.00pm
SDG TALK 2: ANALYZING SUCCESSFUL CLIMATE-RELATED SDG IMPLEMENTATION
This dialogue will feature short talks from experts, business leaders and activists from a diverse range of regions, areas and sectors who are implementing the SDGs successfully and acting to make sure the goals are achieved by 2030. These talks will be inspirational, pinpointing good examples of what works, how to develop ways to replicate them in new directions, and open the discussion around how to achieve and exceed this very challenging agenda. Guest speakers:
- Indigenous peoples leader Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim, Coordinator AFPAT and works with IIPFCC, IPACC, PACJA & RCD
- Hon. Inia Seruiratu, Minister for Agriculture, Rural & Maritime Development & National Disaster Management and Fiji Climate Champion
Source: press release UNFCCC, 14.05.2017