An engaging 5-day programme that fosters rich interaction on issues relevant to the work of the UN and its partners in the context of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through panel discussions, workshops, excursions and practical clinics.
The UN Summer Academy offers executive education, learning and knowledge exchange to those working to advance sustainable development approaches. Combining academic rigour with cutting-edge thinking, it provides a platform for participants to engage in discussions on issues of relevance for the work of the UN and its partners in the context of Agenda 2030.
Leveraging the presence of 19 UN entities in Bonn, as well as numerous leading institutions in international development, the academy provides an unprecedented opportunity for dialogue with thought leaders who are currently guiding and inspiring the work of the UN.
A Share Fair is organised as part of the academy, which brings together various German and regional actors and initiatives across different sectors, and showcases the diversity of programmatic approaches and practices, while fostering networking and collaboration.
Thanks to a generous contribution from the Federal Republic of Germany, the UN Summer Academy can be offered at a reduced price of 1,000 USD.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will have:
- Have deepened their knowledge of the core substance and processes related to the 2030 Agenda, the Paris Agreement as well as the Financing for Development process.
- Have an increased awareness of the specific roles of different development partners as well as related cooperation opportunities.
- Have had a first-hand exposure to good practices in the area of sustainable development programming and implementation.
- Have gained knowledge and skills on building substantive and sustainable partnerships and enhancing their networks.
The UN Summer Academy combines plenary sessions with interactive opportunities for knowledge exchange and experience sharing, leveraging the perspectives of diverse stakeholders. Through a Share Fair and an excursion, the programme provides participants with networking opportunities.
The programme for the UN Summer Academy 2017 is under development. The 2016 edition covered:
- Global aspects of Agenda 2030, the Paris Climate Change Agreement and other related core agreements
- Sustainable Development in Germany: the national sustainable development strategy, regional realities and model projects, including a half day excursion to a model project
- Agenda 2030 and multi-stakeholder partnerships: the role of governments, the UN, civil society, the private sector, academia and other stakeholders
- The UN in Bonn: Shaping a Sustainable Future
- Share Fair showcasing different approaches and fostering networking among participants
- Making the Goals famous: new approaches to communications and advocacy
UN staff, government representatives, civil society representatives, academics, business representatives, as well as a select number of Master and post-graduate students.
Cost of Participation
The course fee of 1,000 USD covers the following:
- Five days of training, including a half-day excursion to a sustainable development project.
- Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course. Accommodation in a hotel in town will be booked in advance by the UNSSC; however, accommodation expenses will be borne by the participants.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.
Date and Venue
21 to 25 August 2017, Bonn, Germany.
Source: Notification UNSSC, 10.04.2017