A tutored online course designed for UN and UN-affiliated staff that will enhance your competencies in designing, monitoring and evaluating projects and programmes for effective RBM.
Designed and delivered in collaboration with the ROI Institute (USA), this course enables effective results-based management (RBM) in UN system organizations by enhancing staff competencies in designing, monitoring and evaluating projects and programmes.
It complements other UNSSC initiatives on RBM and evaluation by providing more in-depth, technical and skills-building learning on one of the key elements of RBM strategies: performance measurement.
Through a mix of theoretical learning, practical exercises and UN case studies, participants build skills in development measures, collecting and analysing data, reporting results, and using data to manage performance.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Have gained an in-depth understanding of the relationship between measurement and effective RBM as well as the RBM process.
- Be able to identify stakeholder data needs and be able to develop performance measures/indicators reflective of stakeholder needs, as well as measurable programme objectives that reflect the intended performance measures/indicators.
- Be familiar with data analysis procedures and be able to select the appropriate procedure given the level of measurement and type of measure.
- Have learned how to communicate results of an evaluation project in practical terms.
- Have enhanced their knowledge and skills to use measurement results to improve programmes and make informed decisions.
This UNSSC course is delivered entirely online in both synchronous and asynchronous modes combining exercises and offline assignments. The course includes self-paced components and live webinar discussions on WebEx. While being responsible for their own learning, participants will benefit from feedback and support from UNSSC and ROI institute throughout the duration of the course. The live instructor-led online sessions will take place once a week from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm CET or 8 am – 10 am EST.
This course is delivered by UNSSC staff, along with:
- Dr Patti Phillips, President and CEO, ROI Institute
- Mr Jean Quesnel, ENAP Québec and Carleton University and former Director of Evaluation at UNICEF, IADB and CIDA
- Mr Tim Brock, ROI Institute
- Week 1: The first week gives participants a general overview of RBM and the imperatives for it, discussing the basic concepts and theories underpinning RBM. It includes the five paradigms of RBM and sheds light on RBM at project and programme level.
- Week 2: In week two, the course continues to explore the characteristics of RBM in more depth at the institutional and policy level.
- Week 3: The third week focusses on programme alignment introducing the results-based framework and explaining how to develop sound objectives and indicators.
- Week 4: This week looks at the indicators of achievement and the logical framework approach.
- Week 5: Once the indicators and objectives are set, the course continues, in week five, to address the issue of data collection, data analysis and the reporting of results.
- Week 6: The different learning modules are concluded in the last week with a session on UNDAF monitoring and evaluation. At the end of the course all the different aspects are brought together to summarize how to develop a measurement plan and ensure effective results-based management for projects and programmes.
UN and UN-affiliated staff involved in project/programme management, including design, monitoring and evaluation.
Cost of Participation
The course fee of 1,850 USD covers the following:
- Unlimited access to course materials (video and key readings), recording of webinars and speakers’ presentations.
- Participation in live webinars with renowned subject matter experts on sustainable development.
- Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
Certificates of Participation will be awarded to participants subject to the completion of all modules and quizzes, successful submission of exercises and assignments, and full participation in all live online sessions and discussion forums for each topic covered in the course.
Date and Venue
05 June to 14 July, Online.
Source: Notification UNSSC, 10.04.2017