This executive course explores the role of leaders as catalysts for change. It examines ways to integrate environmental, social and economic dimensions into decision-making and strategic thinking for results.
The delivery of a transformative 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement on climate change requires smart institutions, access to knowledge and public accountability, serious long terms changes in attitudes and mind-sets, along with visionary leadership.
This course addresses the wider external and internal contextual evolutions in a world guided by the three principles of sustainable development, integrating environmental, social and economic dimensions into decision-making and strategic thinking for results.
The course also touches upon different dimensions of leadership from individual values and attitudes to organizational incentives and concrete action and explores obstacles and opportunities for effective sustainable development leadership actions and cross-sector partnerships.
This training programme is designed and delivered in partnership with the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) Association.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Be aware of key tools and approaches for sustainable development programming, partnerships and implementation.
- Be cognizant of the drive and different roles of different development actors.
- Demonstrate a better understanding of the imperatives of transformative leadership and have critically interrogated their respective organisational cultures.
- Be equipped with a better understanding of their own leadership styles and have identified individual trajectories to adjust them.
The course is interactive in nature and will use real-life examples and exercises to offer opportunities for participants to learn and internalize critical elements of the training programme. The training programme promotes intellectual and practical knowledge sharing, and foster a culture of understanding and cross-fertilization among participants. It offers a venue for networking among participants of various organizations aiming at fruitful collaborations on similar visions.
- Day 1: The Framework: Agenda 2030, the Paris Agreement, the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction and Financing for Development
- Day 2: Sustainable Development and I: the role of the individual as leader and catalyst
- Day 3: Action on sustainable development (organizational incentives and action)
- Day 4: Partnerships for effective action
- Day 5: Leadership in sustainable development
UN senior staff, government representatives and leaders in the business sector as well as from civil society, academia and foundations.
Date and Venue
3 – 7 April 2017, Bonn Germany
Cost of Participation
The course fee is 5,500 USD. This covers the following:
- Five days of training with a balance of presentations and group work on case studies and exercises.
- Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course. Accommodation in a hotel in town will be booked in advance by the UNSSC; however, accommodation expenses will be borne by the participants.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.
Source: Notification UNSSC, 13.02.2017