Skål International’s commitment to a greener world is once again being highlighted globally with the launch of the 2012 Sustainable Development in Tourism Awards. Companies and institutions that are making their own contributions to ecological and responsible tourism around the world are invited to nominate for the awards.
As an international organisation of industry leaders, Skål is a powerful force in the travel and tourism industry to initiate change and encourage the conservation of the environment in order to promote tourism and travel.
Presented on these grounds, the award – while highlighting best practices in tourism around the world – also serves the purpose of acquainting the world with this new concept, which puts an emphasis on the importance of the interaction of the physical, cultural and social environment, the traveller’s responsibility and the need for active community participation for sustainability.
- Tour Operators – Travel Agents
- Urban Accommodation
- Rural Accommodation
- General Countryside (Alpine Tourism, Underwater Projects, Beaches, Theme Parks, Scenic Mountains, Rivers, Lakes)
- Cities – Villages (Community and Government Projects)
- Educational Programmes – Media
- Global Corporate Establishments
What are the criteria for winning the Awards?
The primary criteria will be based on the following evaluation points:
- Contribution to the conservation of nature, environmental considerations
- Cultural heritage conservation
- Community involvement and benefits
- Educational features
- Business viability
How do projects apply for the Awards?
The entry form that can be found on the Skål website (www.skal.org), together with three sets of the following complementary information, should be sent to the Skål International General Secretariat:
- Descriptive report – general description of the project not exceeding one page.
- Evaluation points – short analysis of each of the points indicated on the application form. Brochure(s) – any published material. CD (maximum five minutes) – preferably a Power Point presentation with illustrations/pictures highlighting ecotourism aspects of the entry (entries without a CD will not qualify).
- Letter of verification from the local or national tourism organisation or government department or local authority if the project is not being sent or endorsed through the local Skål Club (this does not apply to category 8).
All this material should be forwarded to the following address:
Avenida Palma de Mallorca 15-1º
Tel. (0034) 952 389 111