The International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM) is a grassroots and democratic organization that currently unites 750 member organizations in 116 countries.
IFOAM’s mission is leading, uniting and assisting the organic movement in its full diversity.
- Leading the organic movements worldwide, IFOAM implements the will of its broad based constituency – from farmers’ organizations to multinational certification agencies, ensuring the credibility and longevity of Organic Agriculture as a means to ecological, economic and social sustainability.
- Uniting the organic world, IFOAM provides platforms to stakeholders for a wide range of purposes. Through international conferences, committee meetings, and other forums, IFOAM facilitates the ongoing and constructive dialogue about the future and status of organic agriculture.
- Assisting its membership, IFOAM implements specific projects that facilitate the adoption of Organic Agriculture, particularly in developing countries. IFOAM also represents the organic agriculture movements at United Nations and other intergovernmental agencies.
In order to fulfill its mission, five goals were set by the World Board for the medium term:
- IFOAM builds the global platform for the organic movement
- IFOAM develops, communicates and defends the principles of organic agriculture
- IFOAM advocates and facilitates the adoption of organic agriculture
- IFOAM promotes the development of organic markets
- IFOAM ensures an effectively managed organization with sufficient and sustainable resources