Application Deadline: 4 June 2018
ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 1,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future. By helping the ICLEI Network to become sustainable, low-carbon, ecomobile, resilient, biodiverse, resourceefficient, healthy and happy, with a green economy and smart infrastructure, we impact over 25% of the global urban population.
In May 2010, ICLEI World Secretariat launched Resilient Cities, a series of annual global forums on urban resilience and adaptation. For more information please check www.iclei.org/resilient-cities.
To lead ICLEI’s Resilient Cities agenda we are offering the following position:
Resilient Cities Program Manager
The position is attractive for professionals with resilience and urban background and several years of experience who wish to take up responsibility for a team, a theme, a congress series and the related project design and budgets.
- Act as Global Coordinator for ICLEI on its resilient cities theme & adaptation, including the ICLEI interoffice cooperation and coordination
- Be responsible for further developing the thematic area, cooperation with other ICLEI working fields and integration resilience into urban sustainable development policies, processes and actions
- Act as contact point on resilience to partners
- Position Resilient Cities in the international discussion on sustainable urban development, especially in the climate change debate; address international policy fora, meetings and events
- Be responsible for the preparation and implementation of the global Resilient Cities congresses, including fund raising and program design
- Support the preparation of regional Resilient Cities congresses upon needs
- Design, fund raise and if successful coordinate projects in the field of adaptation and resilience
- Develop projects, training modules and contribute to knowledge management on resilient cities
- Support and drive the coherence of ICLEI methodologies, tools and approaches to resilience and adaptation to climate change
- Be responsible for updating the respective websites up-to-date and ensure ICLEI always has latest information and descriptions at hand on its resilience and adaptation work
- Support further ICLEI activities with input on resilience and adaptation
- Produce newsletter, fact sheets, reports, media releases etc upon needs
- Manage the team at the ICLEI World Secretariat
- University degree or equivalent qualification in Urban Planning & Management, Disaster Risk Management, Climate Change Adaptation and Local Development or similar
- Min 8 years of working experience related to the above themes
- Knowledge of current policies, planning concepts and state of the art in the areas of cities and local government, urban planning & management, environmental sustainability, resilient building and construction, resilient urban food systems, disaster risk reduction, urban risk, GIS and spatial data, climate change impacts and adaptation, is an asset;
- Experience in project acquisition and development, preparation of funding proposals, project coordination (including project budget responsibility)
The successful candidate:
- is dedicated to driving innovative, low-carbon, resilient, resource-efficient, future-oriented urban infrastructure solutions
- is proactive with an organized working style and strong organizing and projectcoordination skills
- shows creativity and excellence in communicating ICLEI’s message to public policy makers planners, business partners, investors and the broader public
- is proficient in oral and written English; further languages are an asset
- is proficient in office and presentation software and experience in, or open to learn using, web content management
Terms and conditions:
The position is available from 1 July 2018 at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany (a later start date is possible upon agreement). The duration is planned until 31 December 2019 with possible and desired extension according to projects availability.
ICLEI is offering an annual salary starting as of 49.900 EUR before tax and social insurance fees for the full-time position. The final salary will be determined based on the chosen applicant’s experience.
- Workings hours: 40/week
- 30 days of paid leave per year for a full-time position
- Working language: English
- Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
By email to email@example.com. Please include “Resilient Cities Program Manager” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- Your recent CV (3 pages at most)
- Indication of possible start date
- Indication of citizenship (and if non-EU, whether you are holder of a work permit for Germany)
Please note that applications received after the deadline cannot be considered. In order to support the evaluation via interview, shortlisted candidates might be required to undergo a written test relevant to the job content prior to the interview. Kindly note, that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable. The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.
Source: Website ICLEI, as seen on 16.05.2018