In view of the growing relevance of South-South Cooperation within the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development, the UNSSC Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development offers this new course in close cooperation with the UN Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC).
The course builds a common understanding of the theory and practice of South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SS&TC) as a means of development cooperation. It equips participants with the key principles, tools and methods needed to comprehend the challenges and opportunities inherent in the approach, as well as to better understand the roles of different actors involved and to mobilize relevant partnerships. It explores the catalytic role the United Nations can play in helping to further promote the South-South Cooperation agendas of its member states and development partners as a whole.
The course expands its coverage beyond individual UN staff and UN Country Team members to governments and institutional focal points on South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Understand the foundations and the modalities of the South-South & Triangular Cooperation approach in the context of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development;
- Be familiar with the most recent tools and methods in the area of SS&TC;
- Be able to effectively apply SS&TC in advancing the national development priorities and implementation of the Agenda 2030 in their respective host countries.
Through interactive and participatory sessions, combined with inputs from subject matter experts from around the world, participants will share practices and explore ways to enhance political, economic, social and technical collaboration across the three pillars of sustainable development and to mobilize relevant partnerships.
Day 1: Understanding SS&TC in the context of Agenda 2030 and internalizing approaches
Day 2: National stock-taking. Partnership Building – case-study.
Day 3: SS&TC initiatives supported by the UN in the field. Government – UN on SSC agendas. Building practical SS&TC programmes in support to national priorities.
UN staff and non-UN staff, including government and institutional focal points on South-South and Triangular Cooperation and development practitioners.
Cost of participation
The course fee of 1,500 USD covers the following:
• Three days of training with a balance of presentations and group work on case studies and exercises;
• Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues;
• All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course. Accommodation in a hotel in town will be booked in advance by the UNSSC; however, the accommodation costs will be borne by the participants.
Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants who complete the course.
For more information and to register: http://bit.ly/SSCoop2016
Deadline for enrolment is 21 November 2016.
Source: Notification UNSSC, 26.10.2016