IFOAM – Organics International is calling for a full time Program Manager
Sustainability in agriculture is an unsolved challenge despite growing evidence of the need for a paradigm shift towards new production systems that put ecological resources, rural societies, cultural expressions, public social welfare and the economic viability of smallholder family farming in the foreground. Organic Agriculture offers solutions that can contribute to sustainable development in rural areas.
IFOAM – Organics International leads, unites and assists the global organic movement. It has about 800 affiliates in nearly 120 countries and also acts as a Global Action Network with numerous allies. It has a vision of truly sustainable agriculture and value chains around the world. Systems and operations have to be guided by the four principles of health, ecology, fairness and care.
As one of the five strategic pillars of IFOAM – Organics International, the Programs Department aims at progressing toward complex development objectives. Our projects seek to strengthen stakeholders and improve the livelihoods of vulnerable households in need of innovation and adaptation, challenged by food insecurity, biodiversity loss, climate change, the depletion of natural resources and economic shocks.
Holistic, people-centered approaches with a focus on access to nutrition – particularly for women and children – and market-oriented value chain facilitation form the backbone of our work towards poverty alleviation.
The Programs Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of the program strategy, including the portfolio development. The Programs Manager reports to the Executive Director and coordinates a team of currently 4 fullLtimeLequivalent Programs staff. As part of the management team, the Programs Manager will also contribute to the strategic institutional development of IFOAM – Organics International.
Qalifications and experience
We are looking for a very experienced program manager with at least 10 years of relevant experience and with proven skills in programs strategy development, project acquisition, staff management and project implementation. The position requires the following key competencies:
• Sound knowledge of Organic Agriculture and its challenges globally, particularly in low-income countries, combined with a high level of commitment to and passion for true sustainability in Agriculture;
• Knowledge of recent trends in development cooperation and experience in rural development, including agriculture, processing, market access and sector building for poverty alleviation and diversified nutrition.
• Sharp and smart strategy and impact chain development for convincing project concepts, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. Strong ability to recognize and integrate opportunities that can offer effective outcomes on both shoestring budgets and on complex, well-funded activities;
• First-hand experience in planning and implementing complex international projects in a civil society environment, cooperating with the private and public sectors;
• Exceptional fundraising capabilities, including networking, proposal development, accountability and a drive to deliver on commitments;
• Excellent social and intercultural communication skills. Ability to build capacity with participatory approaches and to gain trust and respect of allies and partners;
• Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of additional languages (e.g., French, Spanish, Mandarin or Russian) is desirable;
• Willingness to contribute to a culture of open dialogue and constructive, mutual feedback as part of a diverse management team;
• Sound organizational skills including the management of budget, staff, consortium partner relationships, volunteers and assets. Professional, handsLon and outcomeLoriented working style, capable of achieving fast progress in complex and parallel multiL stakeholder processes;
• Excellent selfLmanagement skills including time, deadlines and task management, priority setting and self-motivation.
Details of the position: This challenging, fullLtime position will be based at our head office in Bonn, Germany in an attractive geographical and institutional setting and provide the opportunity for international and intercontinental travel. The salary is competitive, in line with similar international non-profit organizations and commensurate with experience, skills and performance.
Application Instructions: Please submit a full CV, letter of motivation, salary expectations and the contact details of two references, all in one PDF document before January 22, 2016 to Thomas Cierpka, Deputy Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. Strategic and content related questions can be addressed to Markus Arbenz, Executive Director of IFOAM – Organics International, email@example.com.
Source: IFOAM Notification from 17.12.2015